Wednesday, October 25, 2017



The First Rule of Punk is a debut novel from Celia Perez. I have been hearing about this book for the last 6 weeks or so on Twitter. Everyone was raving about it, so I thought I would give it a try. Malu is a 12 year old girl who has to move across country for her mom's job. Her mom is a college professor and her dad is a record store owner.  Malu is very interested in punk rock music and  making zines ( homemade books or magazines). Once Malu goes to her new school she has to deal with people's opinions of her as she wears lots of makeup, outlandish clothes, and duct taped Chuck  Taylors. What I love about Malu is that she stays true to herself,  tries not to listen to what everyone thinks about her,  and follows her heart. The book, also, portrays the zines she makes which make her so original. I can see many 4th and 5th graders enjoying this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment